It’s safe to say that every woman expects their makeup to last until they are ready to take it off. That’s the goal. Unfortunately, that’s not always how it works. Smudge proof eyeliner pencil, in particular, is supposed to be just that…smudge proof. But sometimes, in applying false lashes by luxury brands Minki Lashes or Shu Uemura (if you don’t mind paying the same price for synthetics as you could have for Minki’s authentic cruelty-free Siberian mink fur!) or fun and flirty cheap false eyelashes by Ardell or Revlon, and eyeliner, smudge proof eyeliner can fail you, miserably. You want a product that will work with your added false lashes (or mink eyelash extensions), but you don’t necessarily want to add a product with any nasty chemicals so close to your precious eyes. These days, many chemicals in cosmetics can go unnoticed (if you think FDA or Health Canada have you covered, think again!) …until it’s too late. The skin on and around your eyes is some of the most delicate and sensitive on your entire body, and 60% of what we put on or skin goes directly into our blood stream. Armed with this knowledge, and determined to find a smudge proof eyeliner that does what it says, even when wearing false lashes, you’re on the hunt.
We’ve compiled short reviews of 5 best rated eyeliner pencil products on the market, perfect for use on all different eye shapes, and for any eyeliner look imaginable! And, as always, Minki Lashes is proud to bring you reliable cosmetics ingredient safety information and safer product choices, versus the majority of other e-magazines! So read on with a peace of mind:
1. L’Oreal Extra Intense Eyeliner in Carbon Black – The super dark pigment in this best smudge proof eyeliner pencil as rated by many real users glides on easily and stays on for up to 16 hours thanks to its smudge-resistant formula. Some users’ reviews suggest that this may not be the best product for you if you are looking for a blendable color that can be easily smudged. However, if you are on the market for a precise line that would perfectly compliment your mink false lashes, this liner is for you. Ophthalmologist-tested, it is rated as 1 out 10 for low health risk by Skin Deep. Free from parabens and phtalates, the few ingredients that separate this smudge proof eyeliner from the perfect safe score of 0 are an emulsifying agent PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone (contamination concerns and low organ toxicity concern), potentially carcinogenic Cyclopentasiloxane and Tocopherol (vitamin E), and low-risk irritant Polyethylene. Finally, on a more practical side, L’Oreal Extra Intense Eyeliner is reportedly somewhat difficult to remove (takes awhile when using safe coconut oil or another natural eye makeup remover, as the liner smudges above and below eyes). You will also need to keep a regular eye makeup pencil sharpener handy as this product is not retractable.
2. Tarte Skinny Smolder Eyes Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner in Onyx – Rated as low health risk of 1 by Skin Deep, its super creamy and very well pigmented formula glides on smoothly “like a dream” under or over your false lashes without tugging or pulling, and sets pretty quickly. It can be applied on the waterline, too, however, it reportedly doesn’t perform as well in that area. And, just like most other best smudge proof eyeliner pencils, over time it builds up into your tearduct, but not as much as compared with L’Oreal Extra Intense Eyeliner in Carbon Black, which is reportedly more smudge-able.
3. Too Faced Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Perfect Black –his This waterproof eyeliner is truly two-faced: it increases the looks of your own or false lashes by providing safe, smudge proof eyeliner definition with a user-friendly felt tip, but can also be smudged with a rubber tool on the other end for a smokey effect, thus eliminating the need to use a smudging brush! Real users’ reviews warn that the product goes on very intense and creamy, but is easier to apply than the creamy and more toxic Urban Decay eye pencil, especially for tightlining. Rated as 1 for chemical ingredients risk by Skin Deep |(overall safe), the cosmetic ingredients to be aware of are the average risk Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, and Cyclopentasiloxane, and low risk Polyethylene and Tocopherol.
4. Laura Geller Beauty I-Care Eyeliner Waterproof Pencil – As high-tech as it gets, this best higher-end professional-grade smudge proof eyeliner pencil with a retractable point, priced at around $25, was designed for convenience and as the all-in-one solution for creating versatile eye makeup looks. A soft and flexible smudger tool is attached to the opposite end of the pencil, making it easy to create sultry smokey eye looks. Once the smudger is pulled off, a handy little sharpener inside helps to create precise lines, such as those under and/or on top of your luxurious Minki Lashes. It is reportedly super long-wearing, making it a perfect option for lining the inner eyelid. This smudge proof eyeliner is called I-Care because its ophthalmologist-tested formula is claimed to be gentler on sensitive eyes or contact lenses wearers. It does not contain Mineral oil, parabens and preservatives. However, it does contain low levels of irritant chemicals Octyldodecanol, Polybutene and Polyethylene, and potentially carcinogenic Cyclopentasiloxane, hence explaining Skin Deep’s health risk rating of 2 out of 10.
5. Noir Cosmetics Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner in Jet – A new entry on our list of safest smudge proof eyeliner pencil options suitable for use with false lashes. Priced at around $15, this offering from Noir features a bold color that blends and glides on smoothly and easily. It is long-lasting, and is perfect for oily skin as it doesn’t run. While rated as safe by Skin Deep (low health risk level of 1 out of 10), you should still exercise caution if you have ultra-sensitive skin, since this product contains low levels of toxic and potentially carcinogenic Cyclopentasiloxane, and potentially irritant Polybutene and Polyethylene.
The best smudge proof eyeliner pencils that will go the distance so you don’t constantly have to battle raccoon eyes or those irritated from chemical-heavy additives, are literally at your fingertips!