These days, you can’t open a magazine or watch a beauty how-to show without hearing the term “smokey eye makeup.” It has become indispensable among eyeshadow application techniques, able to be tailored to fit and compliment any wardrobe, eye color or shape. And with your blonde hair, a smokey eyes for blue eyes look will really help enhance and highlight one of your most attention-getting features! Read on for some cool basic tips and ideas for more subtle and dramatic versions of smokey eyes for blue eyes
- Pick your best colors – In order to make the most of those peepers and blonde locks, you’re going to need to know the colors to really set them off. Since your coloring is probably on the lighter side, your most versatile smokey eyes for blue eyes look will be achieved with light eye makeup, but you can always amp it up to rock a night out. According to the color wheel, your best colors are going to be browns and bronzes. Pick three shades of that color family…a light, medium, and dark…to base the look around. Depending on your eye shape, you can also experiment with metallic silver and use black or very dark grey as your dark accent color.
- Prime the lid – Primer is key to any successful makeup look, regardless of eye shape, but it especially crucial when trying to achieve a smokey eyes makeup effect. During summer or winter getaways to the South, your shadow and liner will need a solid, adhesive base to not only add vibrancy to the colors, but durability to your makeup look, overall.
- Dark shadow placement – There are two best ideas for the smokey eyes for blue eyes and blonde hair look. For an extreme smoked-out , take the darkest shadow shade of the palette you are working with, and apply all over lid, from lash line to crease. For a more subtle smokey look, apply your medium shade (see step #3 below) from lash line to crease, then apply the darkest shadow in the outer V shape (along lash line to outer corner, then from corner to middle of the eye through the crease). And in order to get the most “bang for your buck” with smokey eyes for blue eyes, you should be sure to use a pure pigment eyeshadow, or shadows that are highly pigmented (color that transfers boldly and truly to your eye), however be extra careful with the ingredients as the stronger the pigment is, the more likely the manufacturer had to use harsh chemicals to create it. So always check with Skin Deep Cosmetics Database to ensure that your product is safe!
- Medium shadow placement – The medium shade can also be applied in two ways for the smokey eyes for blue eyes and blonde hair look. For the extreme smoked-out eye, run the medium shade above the darkened lid, all along the crease, but not too high onto the brow bone. For more subtle eyes, the medium shade should be applied the inner two-thirds of the eye lid (with the darkest shade in the outer V).
- Light shadow placement –If you’ve opted for a more subtle smokey look, you will be applying the lightest shade of your palette on the inner third of your lid. For highlight, sweep a very light pearlescent or shimmery color on your tear duct area and along the underside of the brow. This will help to illuminate your captivating blue eyes (also helps to make you appear more awake).
- Blend (then blend some more)! You cannot have true smokey eyes without blending…period. Whether going bold or subtle with the “smoke,” the colors should blend into each other seamlessly. You will essentially be creating an “ombre” effect, and therefore, we can’t have any harsh or distinct lines visible with the shadows.
- Liner – Think in terms of Taylor Swift eye makeup. Her small smokey eyes for blue eyes and blonde hair totally come alive with liner. If you have regular eyes, using a black kohl pencil, smudge a fairly thick line along the upper lashes, getting wider at the outer corner. Also smudge the line along the outer third of your bottom lashes (for an extreme smoked-out look, run the pencil the entire length of the bottom lash line, smudge well, and also line the upper and lower inner rims of your eyes). If you have small eyes, you want to avoid lining the lower inner rim as it will only visually reduce the size of your optics.
- Mascara – Curling eyelashes first is critical. Then apply two coats of mascara or…go directly to step 9!
- Extra lashes – To make the most of your smokey eyes for blue eyes and blonde hair, add false eyelashes by Minki Lashes to either the entire upper lash line, or just the outer third. But for amazing eyelashes without any of the work of falsies, consider mink eyelash extensions. They can last up to two or more months when properly applied at your local eyelash extensions salon! Ask your eyelash technician for authentic Siberian mink eyelash extensions instead of the plastic imitations, and you won’t be disappointed! No other false eyelash material on the market is as lightweight, fluttery and simply luxurious as authentic cruelty-free mink!
- Brows – Sure, there are different types of eyebrows, but nothing polishes off the perfect smokey eyes like well-shaped, well-defined brows. When filling in with pencil or powder, try to match your natural shade.
Now step back and be amazed at how gorgeous and mesmerizing those eyes of yours are! It’s guaranteed that the smokey eyes for blue eyes makeup will be a hit, day or night. Once you’ve gotten more confident with the application and the basics, you can experiment with different palettes and intensities, making each look distinctly your own!